Re: Substrate and gum

Bas van Velzen (eland@knoware.nl)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 16:27:04 +0100

Judy wrote:

> -- as I described several days ago. Which is to say, I don't think it's
>heat, steam or heated steam causes the buckling when paper is taped around
>the edges.

stretching paper with the aid of paper tape is an easy thing to accomplish
taken into account two things:

-the paper should be allowed to stretch/relax fully after wetting using a
mistspray and brush(I use Japanese dahlia sprayers: super super), humidity
chamber/box or whatever.
-the tape should be applied rather fast after wetting so it will not
stretch too much

the idea is that there will be not a lot of stress in the paper
when it is fully relaxed and stretched maximally with the amount of water
brought into the paper (more water will stretch the paper further to a
certain extend, this is not (always) necessary to stretch paper well). Thus
the paper will lie reasonably flat or even flat. The tape should have a
quick drying glue: gumtape has a high initial tack and is therefore a good
choice. Put the paper on the stretchboard (glass, plexi, aluminium, wood,
etc.) and apply the tape taking care there are no folds or bubbles in the
tape. It is best to "stroke" it gently on the paper from one side to the
other. Turn the board and go on doing this untill all four sides are taped.
Opposed sides can be further stretched by pulling the tape across the
board. Naturally this is easier on smooth boards. When drying very fragile
papers it is best not to wet it too much because the water will stretch the
paper too much and the shrinking on drying can cause tears in the paper.
The tape must be applied quick because it should be set before the paper is
dry: only in this way the paper can stretch itself to the max (depending on
the quantity of water applied). Also it is the paper that should shrink and
not the tape!! because then the excessive shrink of over wet tape will
cause the paper to buckle.
The quantity of water used to relax the paper should be balanced
against the thickness, sizing, strenght and weight of the paper. Most
people make the mistake that after applying water they don't wait long
enough for the paper to relax. On dry days more water, or two passes with
the sprayer, will be needed than on humid/rainy days. Humidity
boxes/chambers will get water more even into paper, the humidity inside the
box will regulate the amount of water in the paper (one can vary the box
humidity). The starting humidity of the paper should be taken into account.
On dry days the paper contains less water and will therefore require a
longer period in the box, or slightly more water from the sprayer and vice
versa on humid days.
In my practice as paper conservator I stretch paper all the time
and therefore it is easy to me. A good starter for someone is to practice
with newsprint. This is not the easiest of papers so when one can do it
with newsprint other papers will be easier, besides there is a lot more
newsprint around than specialty papers! Hope this helps,

Bas

Jonge Eland papierrestauratie
eland@knoware.nl
t +31 20 623 79 89
f +31 20 627 32 23

VeRes (Dutch Association of Professional Restorers)
postbus 11503
1001 GM Amsterdam

PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER