Re: Substrate and gum

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 19:30:00 -0400 (EDT)

------------------cut ---------
> humidity). The starting humidity of the paper should be taken into account.
> On dry days the paper contains less water and will therefore require a
> longer period in the box, or slightly more water from the sprayer and vice
> versa on humid days.

> In my practice as paper conservator I stretch paper all the time
> and therefore it is easy to me. A good starter for someone is to practice
> with newsprint. This is not the easiest of papers so when one can do it

Bas, I'm still trying to absorb (so to speak) all that info about wetting
paper. Clearly it's both art and science even *before* one makes a mark
upon it. But I'm wondering if we're talking about exactly the same thing.

Granted, when I taped paper onto a substrate I did not know or observe
*any* of the caveats you mention, let alone all. Nevertheless, I found
that paper which might lie perfectly flat after being taped and dried the
first time, would buckle like gangbusters after a long soak in developing
and would usually buckle to a greater or lesser degree during coating.

Moreover, during a long soak, water would inevitably insidiously somehow
seep between the paper and the substrate and make a great big water
balloon in there. So the paper was bellowing and buckling and bubbling at
the same time (as was I).

You say you stretch paper all the time "as a conservator." As I
interpret that remark, it might mean you stretch an existing work of art
flat and fasten it down for further work, like cleaning or repairs, which
might not, in fact probably doesn't, include total immersion, as when
developing a gum print. Even coating the paper with the emulsion might
wet it more than your treatments involve.

I also suspect that Terry's very brief development (I gather just a few
minutes) affects the paper differently than long soaks.

??????

Cheers,

Judy