Re: Substrate and gum

Bas van Velzen (eland@knoware.nl)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 16:43:07 +0100

Terry wrote:

>I do not use a substrate and the paper is not taped or stuck down. I found that
>the paper does buckle if you wet in on both sides when tring to stretch it but
>not if you wet in one side only. I am not sure in what way that is relevant but
>it may prove helpful.

in addition to my posting a little earlier one should understand that the
wetting of the paper should be done from both sides, which in a
humidification box automatically happens btw. This to avoid stresses in the
paper that will later cause the paper to warp eg. to develop a curve cross
the grain direction with the once wetted side being the outside. This will
occur when the paper is dry and taken of the board. I think that Terry's
buckling is caused by an uneven wetting of the paper because he does not
wait long enough. The heavy papers he uses take a long time to wet evenly.
When using a hairdryer or something of the kind wetting only one side will
have the effect that the paper will slightly stretch (only on one side) and
because of the quick drying will not, or hardly buckle. The paper will have
stesses though. Maybe the treatment afterwards will take care of these
stresses.

Bas

Jonge Eland papierrestauratie
eland@knoware.nl
t +31 20 623 79 89
f +31 20 627 32 23

VeRes (Dutch Association of Professional Restorers)
postbus 11503
1001 GM Amsterdam

PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER