Re: 4 gums

Albert Strauss (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 23:30:53 +0000

At 02:30 PM 8/18/96 +0000, you wrote:
>snip..

>liquid developers from technical grade chemicals, they too come out when
>dissolved to be real dirty but they clean up with an overnight cycling
>through a charcoal filter. I was wondering if the same would work for the
>gum. I could make up a 50 gallon tank at say 20 Baume and remove all
>reactants and clean it up with charcoal so it's nice and white. The user
>could then dilute with water to the desired Baume using a chart or nomagraph.

Dick,

I wonder - would your filtering transform gum to "nice and white" ?

I have a gallon of Daniel Smith lithographers "pure" gum arabic,14 baume. It
is the color of used crankcase oil. They claim it has been "microfiltered",
which if you
believe them, was unsuccessful in changing this blackstrap molasses color.

Peace

Al