RE: Dichromate stain/image

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:12:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Philip Jackson wrote:

> But as Judy has said you really need to go on to test whether the resulting
> image is archival. The oldest pure dichromate image I have has gone from
> brown to green and is now very faint.

Well this is a bit of a spin on my meaning, which was the thought that
maybe residual dichromate is not harmful to the archivalness of the
print, in which case we could de-obsess about it (being perhaps
pre-conditioned by fear of residual fixer and/or silver halide).

But if, as you say, a pure dichromate image in your possession has faded
and turned color, that answers the question without the home test kit I
still hope to locate. Even if the actual pigments aren't caused to fade by
residual dichromate, or the paper rotted or discolored, the picture would
change, our "vision" be altered.

Judy