Re: Van Dyke brown prints at the MOMA

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mis.ca)
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:41:53 +0300

..
Judy writes:

>Thanks, Bob, you saved me the trouble of a separate reply to Luis, on the
>order of "come off it."

That's ok, I had my hector in place;-)

>But here's a question: If I prepared a cliche
>verre negative with paint and pencil and printed it in vandyke brown, is
>it OK if MoMA shows it in the print department?

Sure. Even in the automobile dept. if, for instance, part of the image is
an automobile. It is always ok to have exceptions **IF** there is an
explanation provided with it. Can the original poster, Shauna, confirm that
there wasn't?

I come from a different background, which includes writing encyclopedias
and consulting for, among others, the Getty Art History Information Program
(i.e., _Art and Architecture Thesaurus_) I deal with these issues
professionally almost on a daily basis. The Vandykes were from negatives,
not from objets trouve's to produce photograms.

>It is? Well what if my cliche verre is a "photogram," made by placing
>objects on a light-sensitive surface?
>
>Or, what if my vandyke brown is itself a photogram, made by placing
>objects on a surface sensitized with vandyke brown emulsion?
>
>Or what if it's made by combining objects or hand-made transparencies with
>a traditional, photo-department negative, say one from the official
>photography collection of the Museum of Modern Art?

The resulting print does not come off a press but it usually falls under
the classification of "mixed media".

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mis.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada