RE: Van Dyke brown prints at the MOMA

BOHNE CARL (CBOHNE@SAGATE1.KELLY.AF.MIL)
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:48:39 -0500

----------
From: Mark A.Morrill[SMTP:morri013@maroon.tc.umn.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 1996 4:59 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Van Dyke brown prints at the MOMA

On Tue, 27 Aug 96 01:56:05 +1000,
alt-photo-process@cse.unsw.edu.au wrote...
>Ever since Talbot invented the negative, photography has been
considered
>a print making process. The question of weather photography was an
>artistic medium was settled a long time ago. Unfortunatly, all to often
>photography seems to be put in a special catagory. In my opinion, we
>fine art photographers should stop calling ourselves photographers. We
>are artists who happen to be using photography as a medium of
expression.
>Maybe this is the wrong list for these comments.
>
>Bob Schramm

I don't know about shoulding any one else but I would agree for my self.
Photographers do those Olan Mills kinda pictures don't they?

Just kidding; but calling one self an artist does set oneself apart from
mere mortals does it not?

Folks working in these areas should refer to themselves as photographers,
painters, sculptors, printmakers etc. and others should bestow the title
of "ARTIST". It's presumptuous to assume you work is actually "ART".
Carl Bohne