Re: Mordancage process

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mis.ca)
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 20:52:14 +0300

>On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, David G. Rigg C.P.P., F-PPC wrote:
>
>> Greetings Earthlings...
>>
>> I am interested in corresponding with anyone who has worked with the
>> French process "Mordancage".
>
>David, I haven't looked it up, but as I recall, the spelling is
>"mordencage," with of course accent under the "c." I did it some, years

No. It is "mordan=E7age", with an "a", from mordant (noun) and mordre (verb)

>ago -- if you mean the copper sulphate/hydrogen peroxide bleach where you
>wash out the softened silver in hot water, then re-expose to make a
>reversal, which may or may not have visible raised effect, as the
>gelatine under it dissolves with the original silver image, exposing the
>paper base ...
>
>Once you have a formula (Glafkides?), I think you more or less have to
>wing it, as my impression was it's different with different papers,
>tho not *that* different (I mean nothing like gumbi!), & once you get the
>wavelength, not difficult.....

There are *many* formulas. My most recent Glafkides _Chimie et physique
photographique_ is the 1976 edition which was only available in French, and
it covers it pp. 776-779. There is a newer edition, twice as large I think,
but it is out of print and I understand that rare book dealers in Paris
have waiting lists of customers willing to pay one grand for it... I'm
kicking myself for not having bought it when it was in print.

The English translation of the term is "dye mordanting process" or "dye
tinting process"; in German, "Beizfarbenverfahren". Electronic searches
using these keywords might turn up something.

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mis.ca
=46redericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.mi.net/dialin/awef6t/