Re: Mordancage process

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:20:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Luis Nadeau wrote:

> No. It is "mordan=E7age", with an "a", from mordant (noun) and mordre (verb)

Well Luis if you're going to insist on the diacritical marks, that's what
you get! None of my books have the French word so I can't check your
spelling. But two things did come back to me:

Those with dictionaries or formularies in English should look under
"etch-bleach", which is where I found it originally. In fact it was given
as a method for printing -- removal of gelatine leaves raised surface you
could (presumably) run an ink roller over.

And the inventor was Frenchman, "Mariage" being the spelling I recall.

> There are *many* formulas. My most recent Glafkides _Chimie et physique
> photographique_ is the 1976 edition which was only available in French, and
> it covers it pp. 776-779. There is a newer edition, twice as large I think,
> but it is out of print and I understand that rare book dealers in Paris
> have waiting lists of customers willing to pay one grand for it... I'm
> kicking myself for not having bought it when it was in print.

Actually, a hasty check this minute didn't turn the process up in
Glafkides -- but it would seem my 1958 two volumes in English are worth
more than the $30 I paid mid-'80s. I'll have to tell my heirs.

> The English translation of the term is "dye mordanting process" or "dye
> tinting process"; in German, "Beizfarbenverfahren". Electronic searches
> using these keywords might turn up something.

As noted, try "etch-bleach," & I'd do Langford first, then Henney & Dudley.

Judy