Re: Advertising on the list...

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:48:37 +1000

rdalrymple wrote:

> Steve,
>
> 1. I guess I understand what "Don't spam the list means (don't send
> messages too often}.
> 2. It would have been nice to have this list right when I signed on
> so I wouldn't embarrass myself by "breaking the rules before I knew
> them.
> 3. Being used to bulletin boards, I assumed that is what a listserve
> was. Every new member of this service should know this is not a
> bullietin board.
> 4. Just to make sure I get this right--one message and/or reply to a
> message every six to eight weeks?
> 5. I'm sorry if I caused problems. Since I joined and posted
> messages, I seem to have broken every rule that existed--or didn't
> exist.(Since I just joined and these rules appeared--of course--I'm
> taking your message personally.)
>
> Marilyn

Sorry folks,
I apparently didn't make myself clear, for which I am sorry.

The list of rules pertains only to ADVERTISING on the list, not to
correspondence in general. Marilyn isn't a transgressor in this regard
(and no, I wasn't aiming that message at you).

As far as general correspondence to the list is concerned (and this is
where you fit in Marilyn), the only rules would be:

1. Keep it related to alternative photographic processes (although it
can be a very tenuous relationship, as evidenced by frequent discussions
of pinhole photography).

2. Try and keep the quoting of other people's messages to a minimum if
possible.

3. Don't flame on list (use private email).

4. Have fun!

The only rule Marilyn has broken is the quoting rule, but she has
explained the reason for that, and I'm sure we all understand and aren't
going to come down on her for it.

When it comes to advertising, very few people on the list do so, and I
am generally asked for permission before it is done. That is the reason
there is nothing in the help message regarding this. It has been many
many years since I used a bulletin board, but from what I remember, this
list works in a much similar way, so you needn't treat it any
differently.

By the way, spamming refers to the practice of posting commercial
messages to as many forums as possible, on the basis that the more
people that see it, the more will be interested and the more money the
poster will make.

You needn't worry about treading on toes Marilyn, we're all one big
happy family.

cheers
-steve