Re: Lacquering of Platinum/palladium prints

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mis.ca)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:28:57 +0300

John Rudiak wrote:

..
>There is a gentleman I know of who routinely lacquors his palladium
>prints. This results in a semi-glossy look which makes the blacks appear
>to be deeper than they normally would in a traditional platinum print. He

This may be achieved with a coating of gelatin, although a fair amount of
experimentation might be required.

>uses a spray booth for application and insists that the rep from the
>lacquer company swears the product is archival and will not yellow.
>
>I do not like this look, but this is an aesthetic point of view. I would
>not, however, put anything like an organic resin on something as
>potentially long lived as a platinum print, as it is sure to decrease its
>lifespan, under normal conditions.

I have to agree. The day I believe that a resin or wax *on paper* will not
yellow or alter the paper, will be the day I see a scientific report from a
wellknown conservation lab, confirming it after a long term study.

References please...

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mis.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada