Re: ethyl alcohol

Maxim M. Muir (mdmuir@nfinity.com)
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 09:39:36 -0500

At 3:35 PM on 9/9/96, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Ignorant question: If I'm told to get ethyl alcohol for carbon printing &
> go to my local hardware store (which never heard of ethyl alcohol
> apparently), what do I ask for? Denatured alcohol? Or?

Judy,

You can get ethyl alcohol (95%) by going to a liquor store and
buying Everclear Grain Alcohol.
Denatured alcohol has "stuff" in it (such as methyl ketones or other things
designed to make it poisonous) which may or may not be harmful to what you
are trying to do. I use Everclear as a film cleaner, as a cosolvent for
phenidone and benzotriazol, and as a film dryer on occasion. No darkroom
should be without it.

Maxim M. Muir
See the "Maximum Monochrome" homepage at:
http://www.nfinity.com/~mdmuir/