Re: Hake Brush

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Stephen R. Harrison wrote:
> I also am now
> using Hake brushes but I am not so sold on them and am inclined to agree
> with Judy that the metal ferrule is not a big deal. Excess absorption of
> precious platinum is a big deal!

Stephen, have you ever used a foam applicator? I'd be curious to know how
it compares. This must, BTW, be the kind with the wooden handle, as the
foam is softer, not the red plastic handle, which has a stiff, inflexible
"blade."

As for crumbling of black bits into the emulsion -- after much brush
abuse, the foam will start to crumble, but that's if you leave it in
emulsion for 24 hours, or after long long use (this is a 50 Cent item).
However, any little bits of black that happen before you realize your
applicator has died, are *easily* brushed off when the coat is dry --
unlike hairs from a hake brush that get embedded in gum emulsion & make you
crazy.

I didn't "shave" my hake brush, BTW, what I did (& learned from old
timer) was stick a card down the middle, halving the *thickness* of the
brush, and cut off one side, thus making fewer bristles. Maybe shaving
would be better though.

Judy