Re: Van Dyke Help Sought

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:14:56 -0400

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:

> George,
>
> Exactly how are you coating the paper?
>
> Bob Schramm

I keep the Van Dyke sensitizer in the refrigerator in a blackened
bottle. When ready to coat, I shake it up and pour an inch or so into a
glass container. I normally wait for the sensitizer to come to room
temperature. I dip a four-inch foam brush into the container and allow
it to become saturated with the solution. I then push the brush against
the side of the container until I've squeezed as much as possible from
the brush. I then lay even strokes across the paper, slightly
overlapping. I turn the paper 180 degrees, and go through the same
procedure. I then turn the paper 90 degrees and repeat. I finally turn
the paper 180 degrees and repeat, trying to ensure that there are no
"puddles." I allow the paper to dry in the dark.

george

--
 Handmade Photographic Images
  http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth