Re: Revival & Gelobrom & Winchester

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:48:39 -0400

At 06:05 PM 960913 +1000, Terry wrote:

>!. A gelobrom, as I recall, is a kind of carbro where instead of contacting a
>silver gelatine print to the dichromated gelatine which is then inked up, the
>original print is used but is inked up before it is bleached.

Do you know how this is possible? The inking normally requires areas of
hardened and non-hardened gelatin and the hardening is done in the bleach.
Anyway, carbro is not an ink-type process, so I am very confused. (Not that
that is unusual.)

>2. A winchester is a bottle holding about two quarts,

Interesting. A Winchester is also the name of the first hard drives made by
IBM; the name was constituted from the 30-30 rifle (IBM's designation for
the hard drive was Model 3030), which wasn't only a "frontier" type, but
used during WWI. The rifle was designed and mfd at the Winchester arsenal,
hence its name. Of these our language is enriched. Off topic, but
interesting, what?

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net