Re: Van Dyke Help Sought

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:01:03 -0400

Judy Seigel wrote:

> Then I've taught VDB to several hundred students, some of them air babies,
> and NEVER seen the blotches described. Do you let it come to room
> temperature before coating? I suspect something about the fridge. What's
> your formula?

Silver nitrate 37.5 g
Ferric ammonium citrate 90 g
Tartaric acid 15 g
Water to make 1 liter

Yes, I do allow it to come to room temperature before coating. The
instructions in May/June DCCT say "NOTE: This amount of Sensitizer
should be stoppered and refrigerated. It should be enough to coat
hundreds of 11X14 sheets." At least the last sentence is correct - I
have enough to last quite a while. One reasonable suggestion was to
filter the solution before coating. Does this sound
reasonable/necessary?

george

--
 Handmade Photographic Images