Re: Revival & Gelobrom & Winchester

Terry King (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
13 Sep 96 16:20:57 EDT

Sil said:

Terry wrote:

>>!. A gelobrom, as I recall, is a kind of carbro where instead of contacting a
>>silver gelatine print to the dichromated gelatine which is then inked up, the
>>original print is used but is inked up before it is bleached.

>Do you know how this is possible? The inking normally requires areas of
>hardened and non-hardened gelatin and the hardening is done in the bleach.
>Anyway, carbro is not an ink-type process, so I am very confused. (Not that
>that is unusual.)

Yes but the principle is the same. It is the exposed silver rather than light
that does the hardening. After the bleach/fix the non hardened parts are washed
away. There are many similar variations

>2. A winchester is a bottle holding about two quarts,

>Interesting. A Winchester is also the name of the first hard drives made by
>IBM; the name was constituted from the 30-30 rifle (IBM's designation for
>the hard drive was Model 3030), which wasn't only a "frontier" type, but
>used during WWI. The rifle was designed and mfd at the Winchester arsenal,
>hence its name. Of these our language is enriched. Off topic, but
>interesting, what?

Apparently when each town had its standard measurements this bottle held a
Winchester quart.

Was it standardisation that led to the Lea-Enfield being a 303 ?

Terry

Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net