Re: Sugar and long-term archivality

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mis.ca)
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 01:23:27 +0300

Sandy King wrote:

>Judy,
>
>So you now realizethat making carbon prints is quite a bit less difficult
>than walking on water?

I do it all the time here, between December and April:-)

>I wonder, though, what is the basis of your comment
>that sugar might be bad for long-term archivality. Are you advancing this
>as a theory or is there some empirical data or long-term studies that
>suggest this to be the case?

Once a pigmented image has been soaking several minutes in hot water at
40C, followed by a cold water bath, clearing agent, hardener, wash, etc,
there isn't much of anything water soluble (as sugar) left in it.

Or am I walking on thin ice?

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mis.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada