Re: My First (Unsuccessful) Carbon Print

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Tue, 17 Sep 96 22:36 BST-1

<< >Do I assume correctly that the "raised edges" acts as a dam?
Yes.

>What is the thickness of the coating after it is poured? I trust its no where
near 5mm.

Probably is with the paper. You pour until the paper is covered. >>

When I have coated paper I think the thickness of the gelatine solution when
first poured on is about 1.5mm. It dries to a thin coating. I coated wet paper
on a large oversize glass sheet. I used a warm heavy metal blade to ensure an
even coating with some card taped round it to keep it at an even height above
the paper - the card was at the edges and slid along the glass surface outside
the paper area. This gave a uniform coating thickness, though some people
suggest this is not necessary.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/
and: http://www.speltlib.demon.co.uk/