Re: Imaging

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 18:16:16 -0700 (PDT)

Just an addition and a correction...

I wrote:

> The key point about imagesetters is that they cannot output a continous
> tone negative -- that is, they can only make black dots on film (this is
> one reason their film output is inexpensive).

They do have machines which can vary the intensity of the laser and make
continous tone film -- looks just like a real neg. The machines are
called film recorders, and they usually output to either 4x5 or 8x10
film. The cost is quite high -- on the order of $150.

> They can't change the
> intensity of the laser which exposes the film, so it's black or nothing.
> That's why you need to use a linescreen, otherwise you're picture will
> come out looking like kodalith.

That should have read "otherwise YOUR picture..." I hate it when others
make that mistake. *ugh* I'm so humiliated.

<fingers flying>

David