Re: nu arc for sale

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 13:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

> David writes:
>
> >This sounds like the nuArc 26-1K exposure unit which I use. It is an
> >excellent unit with a vacuum frame and integrating timer (as the bulb
> >ages it automatically adjusts the exposure). $500 with an extra bulb
> >(and they *do* cost $100 -- I bought one), is a great price. The unit
> >sells new for about $1500. The glass is just a large piece of 3/8" plate
>
> NO!!! There is glass and there is glass. I have seen plain glass snap under
> the pressure of a vacuum frame and have heard other horror stories. You may
> have been lucky in the past but if the glass you use does not have enough
> flex to handle the vacuum you could have a mess on your hands...

I understand your concern Luis, and you're right -- people should check to
make sure what is required of the glass in vacuum systems. However, in
the case of the nuArc system there is no clamp, and the pressure for this
system is about 22 psi, which is not very large in the world of vacuum
frames.

David