Re: nu arc for sale

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:24:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Luis Nadeau wrote:
> ...There is glass and there is glass. I have seen plain glass snap under
> the pressure of a vacuum frame and have heard other horror stories. You may
> have been lucky in the past but if the glass you use does not have enough
> flex to handle the vacuum you could have a mess on your hands...

I have the same unit (or what I assume is the same). When it arrived new I
noticed a scratch on the glass and the company said replace it and send
them the bill -- just go to a glazier & get right size in same thickness,
it would be fine. As it happened, I started printing before changing the
glass and the scratch never seemed to print. It is my experience, BTW,
with the contact frames at school, which have gotten to look like barbed
wire, that every scratch comes through onto silver film or paper, few come
through onto "non-silver."

My Nu Arc has built-in bleed valve (tho I had to add one to vacuum easel
in darkroom), and I keep the pressure at 5 pounds or less -- more than
that tends to crumple the paper.

> BTW, if you are going to do carbon transfer make sure there is a bleeding
> valve on the vacuum line. See my carbon book for more details.

Yes, I'll do that. (And BTW, Luis, another person who'd been at carbon
demo told me he bought your book... But you won't make another sale on
me. I have it.)

Judy