Re: Imaging

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

> On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Beakman wrote:
> > Well, I *did* say probably... :) I was just trying to imagine getting
> > a custom photo lab to make me a 16x20 interneg for $30, and I just
> > couldn't see it happening.
>
> David, to compare custom lab negative with a digital negative in which you
> do the scanning, tweaking, adjusting and outputting to disk yourself, is
> what they taught us in grammar school to call a *false analogy.*

Not really, for two reasons. First, when I was thinking about a custom
lab making a 16x20 neg, I was thinking just a straight enlargement -- no
tweaking. I still can't imagine them making one for $30. I could be
wrong. Second, now that you bring it up, whether I do the tweaking or
they do the tweaking, the tweaking must get done. If I just consider my
out-of-pocket expense, which is what this really boils down to, a digital
neg which I tweak at home will *definitely* cost less than a neg that I
have a custom lab tweak.

David