Re: "alternative"

aeophoto@napanet.net
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 15:58:28 GMT

On Sat, 21 Sep 96 12:04:47 +1000, you wrote:

>I too, felt chastised for daring to ask my first question on this list.
> My question was too elementary, and I was told to search the archives.
> I could not find the informaton I wanted in the archives, but did not
>ask again because I. . .well, let's just say I can take a hint.
>
>I feel a little--uh--um--miffed, confused--I wonder why my questions
>about negatives for gum printing were not considered appropriate for
>this list when so many messages on this list have nothing to do with
>alternative printing processes. (I admit--I am of the underclass and
>know no better than to state how I feel).
>
>Perhaps this list needs to branch out so newby's have some where to go
>for help. If newby's aren't supposed to ask questions, and it is
>questionable if we should even write to this list--how does anyone ever
>become a "super-regular"?
>
>I'm ready for my beating.
>

>Marilyn

Hurrah, Marilyn! I am such a newbie to this list that I have never
posted before. I have lurked for approx. 6 months.

Why haven't I posted?

I find the parameters of "alternative" as described by this group
somewhat limiting. Alternative, for me, would describe any
photographic activity which is not in the mainstream. Guaranteed
certain alternative processes, polaroid image and emulsion transfer
for example, become so popular that they become mainstream. But on
the list there are weeks of platinum discussion and nothing else.

This is not to say individuals posting to the group aren't
knowledgeable; they are extremely knowledgeable. But their discourse
has all of the interest value of a hunter describing in minute detail
the shape of his bullets. They also have a congratulatory, patting on
the back quality, while largely rebuffing anyone new to the game.

The question of treatment of "newbies" also frequently comes up; yet
no one ever considers that if it comes up so often perhaps there is
merit in the complaints. Rather there are threats that if the list
becomes too rudimentary, the truly knowledgeable will take their balls
and bats and play elsewhere.

For now I'm content to return to my place and lurk. Occasionally a
tidbit of interesting or useful information shines from amidst the
muck. Slam me if you like. I've learned my golden rule, I know how
to share, and sticks and stones don't carry over the internet.

Angela