Re: sizing paper

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 01:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, David Morrish wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, rdalrymple wrote:
> I use elastic bands to hold the glass rods
> together at each end with even and light pressure. With one
> person holding each end of the rods and "operating" them, the other pulls
> the paper upward through the rods to "squeegee" the paper. The "operator"
> prys the rods open for the leading edge of the paper, then, once the
>snip.........

Do you really mean *glass* rods, or acrylic rods? I haven't seen glass
rods in what would have to be lengths of 24 inches or more (to cover
leading edge of the paper + hands on each side) in the places I normally
frequent...

The 2 rods with elastic bands sounds like a good idea (though I suspect
you can just as well keep your gelatine really warm and liquid like Larry
Shapiro does, so it doesn't need rodding at all, and/or use only one coat
of gelatine with no rodding). What I have used, instead of glass (or
acrylic) rod,is a rather fat (circa 3 inches diameter), somewhat flexible
clear plastic mailing tube. This was a big improvement over plain hard rod
over edge of tray, as the flexibility let it make better contact.

I like the sound of someone's suggestion of brushing it on while
> warm, but have never tried this myself.

Bernie Boudreau said that he found brushed-on gelatine wasn't as long
lasting, tended to wash out sooner, but that he would use a brush-on size
for a refresher, midprint.

I also have used brush-on size and found an additional problem -- with
the gelatine size on one side of the paper only it tends to curl like
gang-busters.

Judy