Re: Presentation of alt. prints

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 01:33:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Peter Marshall wrote:
> As Bas added to my suggestion it need only be about 3cm - surely that's close
> enough for you. It would be possible to build this into a frame, though it
> would add to the cost. He also suggests tilting the glass slightly, though if
> you get really close you don't get noticeable reflections.
>
> I think the viewing distance is also important here. If you are producing
> large gum prints they are probably best viewed from several feet away, while
> 4x5" platinums require close inspection. So close that I would be pretty
> doubtful about putting these on public display without glass.

Peter, both options are necessary -- the overall view, which is
traditionally supposed to be from a distance equal to the diagonal of the
work, though usually/often you want to get even further back,at least for
a quick look, and the close up. If the work is under glass, the step-back
overall view almost always includes reflections which will vary in
annoyance factor, but get worse when the work includes large darks. A
Steichen currently on display at the Metropolitan was almost impossible to
see on that account -- a large very dark carbon print (as I recall), it
really showed up the light fixtures.

Cheers,

Judy