Re: sizing paper

David Morrish (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 19:02:27 -0230 (NDT)

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, David Morrish wrote:
> > Yes, solid glass rods. 3/8" for the 16" rods and 1/2" for the 24" rods.

> **snip** ..., not to mention having students who could break glass at
> 50 paces (and the occasional slip-up of our own)is there any particular
> reason for using a glass rather than an acrylic rod?

As far I know the only difference might be that a glass rod would be
stiffer at those small diameters and therefore would be parallel and as
tight together in the middle as the ends, otherwise if the rod bends, the
center would have a thicker coat of gelatine than the edges. This is my
assumption, anyway. I could be totally wrong.

I've had these two sizes of rods for over ten years, my students use them
every year for a two week period, and they've never been broken. But you
are right, replacing them would be very difficult at this university and
in these times of restraint and lack of expertise in glass blowing.

Dave Morrish
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Canada