brush vs tray gelatine size

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 10:13:42 -0400 (EDT)

In a futile attempt to clear up files I was in July, found this message
recently referred to, and send it again:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 96 06:29:17 +1000
From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@cse.unsw.edu.au>
Subject: gum news, another chapter

A while back Bernard (aka "Bernie") mentioned on line that brush sizing
was inferior to tray sizing & I e-mailed back to ask why. A few days later
I got a letter (oui, vrai escargot) with offset repros of gum prints to
amaze the multitudes plus the explanation that brushed-on gelatine seemed
OK for maybe one added coat, but,

"In every case I found that after 5 or 6 coats the tray sizing was giving
me a superior print. That is, more even (the brush-on sizing seemed to
develop mottling that wasn't apparent in the initial coats), better
highlights, and if I wound up brushing in development the next coat would
definitely stain in the highlights, which didn't happen in the tray-sized
paper. My current theory is that the tray-sized paper is sized deeper
into the paper, and the brushed-on is more on the surface."