Re: sizing paper

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 00:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Industrial Plastics on Canal Street has a bin in the back of the store
> with many types and sizes of acrylic rods, hollow and solid. But the rod
> I've used for "squeegeeing" paper is what's sold as a plastic mailing
> tube. The rigid acrylic somehow didn't readily connect with the edge of

snip %<

> PS. There's another big mail order plastics company -- is that US
> Plastics? It will come to me. Somewhere I have a catalog...

One source for a wide variety of different materials is McMaster-Carr.
A quick look at their catalog lists the following types of rods in
various diameters: ABS, Acetal, Acrylic, Bakelite, Black Delrin, Black
Nylon, Ceramic, Composite, CTFE, Delrin, Delrin AF, Extruded Acrylic,
FEP, Fiber Glass, Garolite, Glass Epoxy, Glass Melamine, Glass
Silicone, Glass-Filled Polycarbonate, Graphite, Hard Fiber, Hard
Rubber, HDPE, High-Density Polyethylene, Hollow Cast Nylon 6, Hollow
Nylon, Hydiar Z, Kel-F, Kevlar and Nylon Composite, Kynar, LDPE,
LExan, Low-Density Polyethylene, MDS Nylon, Mechanical-Grade Teflon,
Moybdenum Disulfide Nylon, Noryl Plastic, Nylon, Oil Impreganted
Nylon, PEEK, PET, Phenolic, Plastic, Polyamide-imide, Polycarbonate,
Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polyurethane, PVC, PVDF, Rubber, Teflon,
Tfe-filled Delrin, Torlon, UHMW Polyethylene, Ultem, Ultra-High
Molecular Weight Polyethylene, Urethane Round, Vespel Polymide, Wood,
Yorolite. And I have left out the metals. There's got to be a joke
in there somewhere how about, "so many rods, so little time?" :*(

McMaster-Carr Supply Co.
P.O. Box 440
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0440
U.S.A.

Sales: 908-329-3200 07:00-21:00 EST (US)
Fax: 908-329-6666 (24 hour)

For people outside of the U.S. they claim to have customers in 140
countries and further that they accept "most forms of payment." I've
purchased stuff from them in the past and had good luck though they
can be a bit pricey; I assume that's because that sell materials in
small lots that are very often only available in large lots. They
publish a 2600+ page catalog, but getting them to send you one is like
pulling teeth so you have to be persistent.

-greg schmitz

>===for PGP Key finger Greg Schmitz <gws1@cunix.cc.columbia.edu>===
:: ::
Key fingerprint = 73 D3 91 15 96 69 74 E5 14 51 71 44 C8 ED 01 11
Key ID: A7026B1D Key Size: 1024 bits Created: 1994/11/10