Re: sumi/carbon tissue

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 6 Oct 96 18:06 BST-1

Judy

I used ordinary drawing ink - I seem to remember the name Pelikan, although
the container I have now simply says Rotring Black Drawing Ink
(Zeichentusche, encre de chine, tinta china) - with success when I did this a
few years ago, and the black it gave was superior to the Hanfstaengl tissue. I
think I have posted the instructions I used before so they should be in the
archive - easier to find there than in my notes! These were based on those
published elsewhere - I think in 'View Camera' around 1990.

Peter

> I think this may have been one of the messages eaten by listproc. My
> former student, Carmine, chancing upon Klaus's demo, was so taken by
> carbon she went out immediately & got ingredients for making tissue. She
> stopped by last Monday in despair -- the tissue had turned out all wishy
> washy, not "beautiful" like the black Klaus had from Hahnemuel.
>
> She'd used sumi ink, as in the formula she was given, but I suggested that
> maybe there's sumi and sumi. I, too, have used sumi for gum printing & had
> it come out very pallid.
>
> Does anyone know about different concentrations, or types of sumi?
> Meanwhile, I suggested she try Rowney gouache jet black, but any other
> suggestions would be gratefully received, & passed along...
>
> Judy

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/
and: http://www.speltlib.demon.co.uk/