Re: Cyanotype Reagents as Toner

Flesch Ba'lint (100263.262@CompuServe.COM)
12 Oct 96 12:29:14 EDT

"Paul A. Lehman" <PALEHMAN@LIFE.UAMS.EDU> 10. oct. wrote:

> I tried the recently mentioned cyanotype-like toner on
> some silver prints (polycontrast RCIII) and produced a very nice blue-gray
> color. Does anyone know if this is archival (both the color and to the
> print)? Interestingly, the blue tone can be removed with a solution of
> sodium bicarbonate recovering the original black and white image ...

This type of print, like the cyanotype is alkaline sensitive. I saw more than
hundred years old cyanotypes in Hungarian collections in a very good condition.
I think it can be durable in good storage conditions. However a gold
toned print after an archive type processing is better. But as I know the RC
is not archive material because unmovable chemical reminders in the paper
fibers and possible delamination automatism of the layers, etc.

- Balint Flesch - Archaist/conservation photographer. - Budapest/Hungary. -