Re: Chlorohydroquinone

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:34:00 -0400

At 09:06 PM 961012 +1000, Alex Nanson wrote:

>Also, not strictly alt-process, but does anyone have any information on
>the solubility of Chlorohydroquinone? I can't get it to dissolve (6.0
>gms/litre) in a std paper developer type formulation without the
>addition of ethyl alcohol.

Chloroquinol (chlorohydroquinone, chloro-p-dihydroxybenzene) is extremely
soluble in water, and in the past was often used in concentrated developers
because of this facility. Hydroquinones, like most developing agents, do
deteriorate with age and it's possible that what you have is very old, in
which case all its attributes change. 6g per liter should be no problem at
all; I could look up solubility tables, but I know of formulas which call
for 100g per liter. One point: sulfite should be dissolved before the
chloroQ (unlike metol, which won't dissolve at all in sulfite solutions).

Chlorohydroquinone, incidently, was used in fabulous warmtone developers.
Hard to get these days, which is why I mentioned you might have deteriorated
stuff.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net