Re: to make enlarged negatives

LESMD@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:37:29 -0400

Risa
You wrote:
>I am curious about using color separated negs, but I'm also unsure about the
>reasons why one would employ a historical and amazingly versatile technique
>such as gum (versatile in its painterly sense, in the ease of manipulation
>that one can achieve to create something more than a simple color photograph
>using pigments and dichromate instead of dyes and silver) to make a print
>that seems to strive to look like a straight color photo.

Three color gum prints made from separation negatives are not like any
straight color print. For starters there is almost an infinite number of
variations of colors by just changing the one, two or all three pigments used
as the process colors. For example, how is the print changed by using Rose
rather than Alizarin Crimson for the magenta layer. Plus you have the
advantage of working with color transparencies so there is only one step to
make the separation negatives.

I think the phrase is, "try it you'll like it"

Larry Shapiro