Re: step tablet

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:54:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Cor Breukel wrote:

> Another thing which I like to ask (excuse my ignorance ), but what exactly
> is a step tablet/wedge, and how do you make one? I did a quick search in
> the archives, but couldn't find anything clear. I guess it's a strip of
> neg. film exposed with different/stronger densities, which you can use to
> check your exposure(range).

Right, but I don't think you can make it yourself in film because of the
curve -- that is the step tablet ascends in *equal* steps and the whole
hell of film constitution is "the characteristic curve" in which no steps
(or practically no steps) are created equal. So the companies (Kodak,
Stouffer, et al) that have cleverly figured out a way to make film come
out in equal steps (perhaps by compensated exposures?) and can thus charge
from $5 to $50 for a little nothing that costs them about 7 cents to make.

In the States, a firm called Stouffer markets various "sensitivity guides"
including a little 1/2 inch by 5 inch "21-step." It retails for $5.50
each. I don't think similar is available in Europe in that price range,
tho perhaps someone can suggest.

Theoretically, my guess would be, it ought to be possible to make even
steps on a computer -- tho I haven't yet seen anything digital I could
usefully substitute for the 21-step. It's a marvelous tool for printing
hand-coated processes, because you can work backwards -- print a 21-step
on the paper & emulsion you'll use and then gear negative accordingly.
And it was in this sense I sang its praises -- for printing contact
emulsions, where you are *making* a negative (enlarging) for the purpose.

I don't see it as a substitute for the Zone system in going out with view
camera, in fact I don't see it as that important for the large
format photographer who uses standard silver materials. So pace Carson --
I'm waiting to *buy* your book! Let us know when to look for it!

I confess I don't expect to *ever* shoot 35 mm again -- or I'm trying not
to, since I have a zillion rolls I've taken already I'm still trying to do
justice to printwise -- but I figure I ought to get a book about zone
system for 35 mm by someone who writes as clearly as you do. I mean, even
if I just learn enought to explain why it isn't true!!! (:-)

Cheers,

Judy