Re: Stouffer step tablets

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 00:12:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> I think it would be much more beneficial (although it might sound boring to
> some students) if the students are first assigned to do a copy negative with
> a step tablet (in this case it would be a printed step tablet). Then by doing
> the assignment with various degrees of exposure and development, the student
> should be able to see how highlights, shadows, contrast, etc. are affected by
> each combination. Only then the student can go ahead and do another
> assignment on different subjects and lighting such as barn in a foggy day,
> rainy day, under bright sunlight, etc.

Agree, Agree, Agree. I'm not worried, BTW, about boring students. That's
my job, I mean entertainment is a glut on the market. In fact the first
assignment I give in gum printing is exactly to make 3 exposures with a
21-step, develop one for 1/2 hour, one for 1 hour, and one for a time of
the student's choosing up to 24 hours. That's part 1. Part 2 is to do
exactly the same thing all over again, except to change *one* variable,
which could be paper, color, exposure, whatever.

Then we look at just the things you mention, "read" the step print to see
how range, contrast, texture, etc. etc. change as development increases,
or with the chosen variable. I've tried various "intro's" to gum over the
years, this is far and away the easiest that teaches the most.

> But I don't think [zone system] hinders or precludes creativity. You are
still the
> artist to control, decide, and judge the final effect you want. Whether one
> wants to control the print in the camera, in the darkroom, on the computer
> screen, etc., depends on his/her interest and skills/experience in each step
> (of course the skills come from the interest too).

Dave you're probably right, but it is mostly a view camera phenomenon
(pending Carson's book proving otherwise), and I don't view view camera,
for all its obvious charms in producing a luscious *print*, as aid to
"creativity." (Did I say that? Is anyone reading this?)

Fearless Judy