Re: Kallitypes - Do I want to try it ?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 10:31:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Peter Marshall wrote:
> The fading is not to do with removing hypo but with leaving iron in the
> prints; in alkaline solutions insoluble iron(III) compounds are formed. These
> don't wash out - being insoluble - you are trying to wash out rust. It is not
> really a washing problem (though of course you do need to remove the hypo.)
>
> So you have to try not to produce them in the first place - which means
> avoiding - as I said - alkaline developers.

Peter, the fading I had was with van dyke brown, which has no "developer"
other than water. Since the strips that faded were for tests, I thought I
could have washed them perfunctorily. I haven't, BTW, noticed any fading
at all in my kallitypes - at least not yet.

My kallitype developer, chosen for depth of tone, smoothness of grain, and
attractive color, was sodium acetate with tartaric acid. I don't recall
any alkaline developers, but presumably there are some in "the
literature."

Judy