Re: Kallitypes - Do I want to try it ?

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mrburns.mi.net)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 16:48:41 +0300

..
Judy wrote...

>Then there's a process called at the time it was evolved to substitute for
>platinum when platinum got very expensive (the Ferro-Prussic war, or

I think you meant the Franco-Prussian War (1870) which has little to do
with the subject at hand...

Peter Marshall wrote:

>Sorry Judy but you are getting confused here. The kallitype was invented by
>Nichol in 1899 although the principle comes from Herschel's work in the
^^^^^

I'd make that 1889. The English Pat. No. is 5374

>1840's. Nichol put it on the market but withdrew it because of the permanency
>problems.

It was also marketed in California under the name Polychrome.

>What we now usually call the Van-Dyke Brown process was often previously
>called the sepia process or the water developing kallitype or the single
>solution kallitype, differences in the formulae are slight.
>
>The material which was marketed as a substitute for platinum when the price of
>this rocketed was Satista paper. I don't think the formula of this was
>published, but there were attempts by others to produce similar materials.

The original patent of 1913 is reproduced verbatim in my _History and
Practice of Platinum Printing_

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada