Re: Kallitypes - Do I want to try it ?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Mon, 28 Oct 96 07:58 GMT0

<< What we now usually call the Van-Dyke Brown process was often previously
called the sepia process or the water developing kallitype or the single
solution kallitype, differences in the formulae are slight. >>
<<
>It was also often called "Brown Printing." When you say "differences in
>formulae are slight," BTW, I assume you mean between VDB formulae. The
>difference between VDB and kallitype is large, in fact offhand I'd say the
>only common ingredient is silver.... >>

Judy

When I say the differences are slight between VDB, single solution kallitype,
sepia process and water developing kallitype - I mean exactly what I said. Had
I wanted to say what you suggest I would have said it and not what I did say!

As for the rest there are a number of clear and simple articles on various
kallitype process. The only at all esoteric chemical that I used for most of
my kallitypes was ferric oxalate which is probably now easier to obtain than
green ferric ammonium citrate.

Kallitypes actually need very little (if any) fixing as they are not made
using insoluble silver salts but soluble silver compounds that should wash out
without fixing.

Most silver alternative prints are best fixed in alkaline thiosulphate as some
bleaching of highlights may occur in normal acidic fixers. However for
kallitypes or VDB you would probably be better off using very weak neutral or
very slightly acidic solutions of thiosulphate - I'd suggest adding a teaspoon
of thiosulphate and a small pinch of citric acid to a couple of cups of water.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/
and: http://www.speltlib.demon.co.uk/