Re: Liquid Light

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 20:01:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Pradip Malde wrote:

> Matt,
> I recommend you take a look at Martin Reed and Sarah James' book: Silver
> Gelatin: A user's guide to liquid photographic emulsions.
> It is well written and thorough. Also, it is a fine piece of design work.

Luminos in Yonkers New York is importing the Silverprint Emulsion, reputed
to be much better ("5 times faster") than Liquid Light.

I bought the book by mail order from Photo Eye in one of those states like
Texas or New Mexico, or Arizona, $29 plus postage. It is indeed full of
great information, inspiring examples and I'm sure helpful facts. (I 'm
not doing the process, just "lurking" in it at this point.)

Anyone with any interest along these lines should certainly have it in
their library. And I would say get it now, because things like that often
go out of print.

That said, however, I will add that, could I meet him or her, I would
eagerly and enthusiastically wring the neck of the typographer -- a fact
not entirely irrelevant when speaking of usefulness and joy of a book.
It is, at least for me, nearly illegible. The body copy is in a whisper-
thin sans serif type. So "elegant", so blear-making. And really I'm not
blind -- yet -- tho I fear this read could make me.

The photo captions, with a good deal of extra fact and data (I think,
can't tell for sure because I can't read them), will require -- I kid you
not -- a magnifying glass to read. Six point type I wot, the lines
thinner than a microbe's antenna, smaller than your average photo credit.
I am so sad.

Cheers,

Judy