Re: Catatype process

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 20:09:23 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Luis Nadeau wrote:

> Judy writes:
>
> >Has anyone heard of the catatype process? An article in The Camera,
> >December 1904 says "Photographic reproduction without light," based on
> >I thought it sounded like a joke, so checked further.
> >Only finding was Cassell, which had clearer description. But it was the above
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Come on Judy. You can try a little harder;-)

Sorry about that Luis -- I was sick at the time. Here's entry for Vol ! of
"Encyclopedia of Printing, Photographic and Photomechanical Process" by
Luis Nadeau:

A color process originally patented by Ostwald & Gros in 1901 ... One
writer mentions: "I remember the complaint which caused great
embarrassment when color pictures taken of the emperor Wilhelm II in
different splendid uniforms were returned with the layers peeling off.
Katatypie was a compete failure. Of the boxes containing the materials for
practicing the process only very few were sold."

But maybe you can do it at home better. Anyway, thanks to folks for
good information. One of these days......

Judy