Re: sensitizing for carbon

Albert Strauss (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:04:01 +0000

At 11:12 PM 12/3/96 +0000, Klaus wrote:
>Al wrote: < I do have a problem in that some grainy pigment on occasion remains
>in the highlights no matter how long I soak it, and I have to clear them with a
>very small brush.>
>Well, Al, as you are preparing your own tissue, I'd say this is the so called
>Hanfstaengl-revenge ;-)

His revenge is in having a name that's a tongue twister for english speakers..

>Sorry, can't help with that problem, never had it. Seems to be connected with
>the pigment you use, probably the way you disperse (mix, ground...) it? What if
>you use a kitchen blender for a minute or so to mix it?

I start with tube colors and try to stir them into the gelatin as competely
as possible.
I do agree that it seems to be pigment that has separated from the mixture.
It is only
in the highlight areas so I assume that the thin gum layer washes out
leaving the
pigment clinging to the receiver paper. It does not appear in the totally
unexposed
regions. It clings tenaciously enough so that a water stream will not
dislodge it,
but brushes off very easily. I don't think I can use a blender without the
gelatin
cooling and sticking to everything. I will keep experimenting.

Klaus, can you recommend papers that you consider to be especially
aesthetically pleasing.
I love the linen type surface on the prints that you showed me, but I
haven't been able
to locate anything like it. The closest I've been able to find is some
writing papers,
but they are too thin for printing.

Best Regards

Al Strauss