Re: sensitizing for carbon

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mrburns.mi.net)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 00:03:31 +0300

..
Al Strauss wrote:

>I start with tube colors and try to stir them into the gelatin as competely
>as possible.
>I do agree that it seems to be pigment that has separated from the mixture.
>It is only
>in the highlight areas so I assume that the thin gum layer washes out
^^^^
I assume you mean gelatin...

>leaving the
>pigment clinging to the receiver paper. It does not appear in the totally
>unexposed
>regions. It clings tenaciously enough so that a water stream will not
>dislodge it,
>but brushes off very easily.

It sounds like your final paper may not have enough sizing. Did you try
different papers like fixed-out bromide?

I tried as many as 17 different types of powder blacks over the years. Some
worked a lot better than others. Just keep experimenting. I personally
never had the problem you described

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada