Re: Ferric Ammonium Citrate

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:16:04 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Alex Nanson wrote:
> >When green scales became available (as explained in photo magazines of the
> >1910 to 1920 period) they were at first extremely costly, so photographers
> >continued with the brown a while longer.
> >

> In the " Figures, Facts and Formulae of Photography" ed. H.Snowden Ward
> published in 1903 green Ferric Ammonium Citrate is mentioned in
> connection with Ferro-Prussiate sensitisers. So the stuff must have be
> around since the beginning of the 20th Cent.

Some formularies from about that time list prices -- many times higher for
the green. So at whichever point green actually arrived, it wasn't in mind
or used much for a while. Somewhere I 've filed the first mention I came
across, lost at this moment in the haystack, needless to say. As I recall,
though, I mentioned it here, so it would be in archive. But all the
magazines (sigh, so many in those days) covered the ground more or less at
the same time. Otherwise it was old news.

I notice by the way that in the first decade or two of the century, many
of the American magazines had a digest of articles from other sources,
especially German and English. Anybody know if they got permission, and/or
paid for those, or did they just feel free?

> Incidentally in the above book there are some details of toning methods
> etc., for cyanotypes which I would be happy to post if anyone is
> interested.

And I will offer a free gift (to be announced) to anyone who can make any
of them work except with tannic acid (OK or Bob Schramm's lead, since I'm
a trusting soul & take his word). Forget gallic acid, which will give you
some effect pro tem, but within a year or three turn to mud.

Cheers,

Judy