Re: Bromoil - masking

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 01:42:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Peter Eddy wrote:

> Terry King wrote:
> >
> > Message text written by Dennis Carlyle
> > >Just what would be a suitable "rubber solution" (or any other) for this?<
> >
> > Art shops sell it as 'rubber solution' which you coat on a wait to dry. You
> > can rub it off with a finger afterwards.
> >
> > Terry
>
> I believe this solution is also called 'maskoid.'
>
> Peter Eddy

I thought you meant plain old rubber cement. I have myself tried some
half-dozen miskits, friskets, maskoids, and liquid masks of many colors,
prices and claims. All were, for my purposes, odious. Hard to apply, they
gummed up the brush after the first stroke. If left on too long they
stained the paper, but on shiny paper tended to come off by themselves,
before they were supposed to, on soft paper they would take the top layer
of paper off with them. In no respect were they as easy to use & effective
as plain old rubber cement. OK in one respect -- you can see where the
substance is applied.. I've often thought of stirring some kind of dye
into rubber cement, which might solve that problem. Has anyone done that?

Judy