Re: My 2nd Pigment Print

Charles Berger (cb@ultrastable.com)
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:24:09 -0700

Pollmeier Klaus wrote:
> <I am also wondering if developing separate C, M, and Y layers on 3 pieces of
> plexiglass and then transferring one-by-one to the final paper will work?>
>
> That's what the tricolor carbro and carbon workers usually do.

Thats how it used to be done. Each color was printed on its own
semirigid (usually Vinyl) sheet and then combined manually onto a sheet
of Temporary (Non-hardened) Support paper which was then transfered to a
final support. Because the temporary support paper changed size each
time it was wet and then dried (3 times for a tricolor print)
registering the three layers was a difficult and time consuming
process. Add to that the fact that the pigment papers (and the Bromide
B/W Prints if Carbro) also stretched /shrunk. etc and you have an idea
of one reason the process had a reputation for being so difficult.

Modern multicolor printers use pigment films coated on dimensionally
stable plastic (or RC papers) and print out all colors onto a single
sheet of plastic which is then transferred to paper. All this is
accomplished through using a register punch and pins(similar to the
Dye-Transfer procedure).

For more information on this modern Pigment Transfer Technique see the
UltraStable Web Site: http:// www.ultrastable.com

Regards to all,

Charles Berger

.