Re: platinum prices?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 16:02:15 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Mike Thebo wrote:
> (I read in the archives that 1.2 to 2 ml is needed for a
> 8x10) so perhaps cost per ml would be better here. I intend to do my own

Dear Mike, If you haven't done hand coating before, you may not realize
that the amount of emulsion given for a particular print size includes the
sensitizer, ferric oxalate-ish, which is relatively cheap and generally
constitutes half the volume. So if platinum is selling for one million
dollars for that 2 ml, figure only a half million dollars to make your
print.

I understand that coating by rod (Puddle Pusher sold by Bostick & Sullivan
or plain glass rod bent at the ends) makes the emulsion go further.

Bostick & Sullivan is highly recommended not only for the reasons cited
today, but because they have (or had) a live hot line, personned by
experts.

However, you might also consider kallitype or vandyke brown as an
introduction to the two million dollar per ml process. The scale and
density rendered are absolutely equal. The differences are permanence,
contrast control (best done in these silver processes by choice of paper
and negative, possible in platinum by additives) and print color. Oh yeah,
and cachet. In fact Luminos in Yonkers NY now sells 100 ml of Argyotype
emulsion for $44 (a reportedly improved version of Van Dyke Brown) which
might interest a person beginning with no other on-site support..

Good luck

Judy