Re: "New" Cyanotype - & Pt/Pd proportions

Eric J. Neilsen ( ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Mon, 06 January 1997 11:00 AM

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Terry King wrote:

> Dan
>
> I do not know about Platine as others on the list seem to have to give it
> special treatment to get it to work properly.
> My experience, on the papers I use, is that you can get a good print from a
> negative with a range of from 1.5 or so to 2.2 or so depending on the
> proportion of Pt to Pd in the mix. The harder the neg the more the Pd.
>

> >an someone who double coats outline their method? I usually find that
> >the Platine soaks up the second coat before I can spread it with my
> >glass rod.
>
> Try sizing first with a 1 % gel of deionised ossein from Bostick and
> Sullivan.
>
> >Does anyone humidify their paper before printing? If so, what is your
> >method?

Dan, I humidify my paper using a room humidifier built into a 3'x3'x3'
box. The humidifing box is keep at 58%rh. I work with a variety of
papers, including platine. If you are going to start to humidify your
paper, follow the advise of Terry and Luis, and change one thing at a
time. You will notice changes in speed and contrast, unless of course
the humidity is already at 55% +/- 5%. The total expense for humidifier
and materials was about $100 US dollars. It allows me to adjust the
humidity to New Mexico "natural" of 18%RH up to 90%RH.

> I have covered this more than once in the archive. Place the paper in a
> cupboard with a dish of warm water before coating then fry the paper and
> size humidify again if you have Pd in the mix..
>
> >I have found results similar to Judy's- I can see the Pd wash away in
> >the developer if I dry the paper (with a hair dryer, set on warm)
> >immediately after coating. On the other hand, if wait more than 5
> >minutes or so, the print has a "sunken" or dull appearance, as though
> the sensitizer has soaked too far into the paper.
>

> You will not have these problems if you size and use a flow of air from a
> fan heater to dry.

Dan, might also allow the emulsion to soak in for about 1 minute 30 sec.
Adjust this based on RH of the coating environment. Waiting 5 minutes
seems way to long.

Good luck,

EJ Neilsen