Re: Iron Oxalate

John Rudiak ( wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 07 January 1997 1:41 AM

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Philippe Monnoyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My first message to the list,
> I noticed that Iron(III) Oxalate is very expensive and I need it for
> Platinum Prints.I am chemist and I would like to prepare it myself.
> Unfortunately, it is not mentioned in my inorganic chemistry handbook.
> Can anyone help ? For example, what is the solubility of that salt vs.
> potassium oxalate (precipitation preparation) ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Philippe

Bostick and Sullivan is a good source (maybe the only source) for ferric
oxalate, and it is not that expensive relative to the other compounds
needed for the process. For preparation in your home lab (I am also a
chemist) Check the references in Luis Nadeau's "History and Practice of
Platinum Printing" or Dick Sullivans "Lab Notes".

BTW, potassium oxalate is soluble in three parts water, and the ferric
oxalate we use in platinum printing is a saturated solution at 27%

Best;

John>