drying gum (was drying cyanotype)

Judy Seigel ( jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 08 January 1997 2:04 PM

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Lawrence Shapiro wrote:

> Judy,
>
> Judy Seigel wrote:
>
> > By then I'd begun testing gum emulsion at home and found that almost any
> > heat in the drying degraded the print.
>
> Can you be more specific about the type of degradation. I have almost
> always( but not every time) dried gum emulsions with the low setting
> of a small hair drier and have not noticed any difference. I must
> admit I have not looked at this variable in a systematic way.

Fewer steps, less separation, more dichromate stain. Test it yourself tho,
because surely the effect is different with every dichromate/gum
proportion. For instance what I described above I found using 1 part gum
to 2 parts dichromate. Now I use 1 to 1 or even 2 to 1. With less
dichromate, obviously there would be less cooking. You cannot possibly
guess this, however. Coat a piece of paper. cut in 2. airdry one half. Dry
the other as you describe. Expose both same time under *same* step tablet
(one right after the other). Develop (ideally you should do 3 & 3 to
compare development 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 3 hours, but some people think they
can live life with only one 21-step.)

cheers,

Judy