Re: Please give generously to the chemistry-impared :)

Philippe Monnoyer ( philippe.monnoyer@fundp.ac.be)
Mon, 13 January 1997 3:20 AM

At 10:24 12/01/97 +1100, you wrote:
>So, the other day I find myself looking at the periodic table of elements.
>I see Pt and Pd in the same group with Nickel -- Ag and Au to one side and
>Ir to the other.
>
>So I was wondering if Nickel, being in the same group as Pt and Pd, can
>be used photographically. Anyone know?
>
>David

David,

a lot of different metals can be used photographically. I used Chromium
and/or copper, i don't remember exactly. What you have to check is wether
the chemical reduction of Ni cation by Fe2+ (in ferrous oxalate, when
exposed) is possible or not, depending on the redox potentials.
Just match the potentials of the couples Iron(III)Oxalate//Iron(II)Oxalate
and Ni2+//Ni.

I feel it absolutely possible ! You can extend to gold, silver, all these
metals that are so noble that they naturally tend to be reduced (by ferric
Oxalate for ex.), that means non OXIDIZED.

Tell us the result.

Philippe
Philippe MONNOYER
Ph.D. Student
Laboratoire de RMN
Facultes Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix
rue de Bruxelles, 61
B-5000 Namur
Belgium

Phone: +32 81 724601